In a dominant position in the plain of the river Magra, Castelnuovo Magra is an ancient town situated at the peak of a hill, which enjoys splendid views over the Gulf of Poets. Mentioned for the first time between 1187 and 1203 in the Pelavicino Code, Castelnuovo is rich in history and art.
The imposing facade of the Renaissance "Oratorio dei Bianchi" mark the entrance of the town. Nearby is the Renaissance church of St. Mary Magdalene, with the interior sculptures in Carrara marble. Castelnuovo, however, is known for its castle, formerly the centre of power of the bishops of Luni. It was built in the XII century by Bishop Gualtiero to control the Via Francigena, finally carried out by Enrico of Fucecchio. Today it is still impressive, with ruins of the walls and a rectangular tower of 80 meters. On October 6, 1306 hosted Dante Alighieri as a prosecutor of Francesco Malaspina of Mulazzo, to seal peace with the bishop of Luni, Antonio Nuvolone of Camilla.
In the narrow streets rise palaces of the XVII-XVIII century: "Palazzo Ingolotti Cornelius", "Palazzo Tonarelli" and "Palazzo Natolini Ferrari".