THE TORRE SCOLA
Torre Scola, also known as the Tower of San Giovanni Battista, was built in the same era as the Castle of San Giorgio. It is located in Olivo, not far from Portovenere, and it takes its name from a rural chapel that once resided on the island of Palmaria.
The tower was built at the start of the 17th century, with the aim of defending the cove of Olivo and the small bay located on the eastern coast of the Island of Palamaria. The building of the tower is one of many measures taken by the Genevans to assure the protection of their territory from invading European forces.
The tower was built on pentagonal foundations, and its walls were sound and sturdy. However, in 1800 it was completely demolished by English warships, whose aim was to drive Napoleons troops from the Golfo dei Poeti.
La Spezia castles