THE CASTLE OF FOSDINOVO
The Malaspina castle of Fosdinovo was constructed on a strategic point that allowed to control the coast and the low Lunigiana.
From the year 1124 we have records of the existence of the castle as fief of the Erberia family, posted under the control of the Luni's Bishop. The Malaspina rise at the end of the XIII century favoured the development of the castle. Spinetta Malaspina transferred the center of his fief from the castle of the Verrucola of Fivizzano to Fosdinovo. Soon after, Castruccio Castracani, genllteman of Lucca, besieged the castle and seized it. With the decline of the fortunes of Castruccio, Fosdinovo returned definitively to the Malspina in 1334.
The imposing fortress, widened and restructured between the end of the XIV century and the beginning of the XV century, became the political and military center of the Malaspina of the "Spino Fiorito". The last Marquis was Carlo Emanuele Malaspina, who lost possession of the Castle in 1796, with the end of the fief caused by Napoleon. In the XIX century, Marquis Alfonso retook the castle bringing it back to the original splendor. When Ricciarda Malaspina married the nobleman Lorenzo Cybo the two lineages joined.
To its inside, it is possible to admire beatiful rooms, the "room of Dante", where by the popular tradition the Poet soujourned, the courtyards, the room of torture. Moreover the legend tells that a ghost still live in the castle, the one of the young Bianca Maria Aloisia Malaspina. She was in love with a peasant when she was 15. After escaping from the convent of "Santa Croce del Corvo" and the refusal to marry another man, his parents killed the young peasant and Bianca Maria. She was then walled alive with her dog (symbol of fidelity towards the boy she loved) and a wild bear (symbol of rebellion against the will of the parents).
Information and reservations: 0187 68891
The castles of Fosdinovo