THE CASTLE OF PODENZANA
Today, the castle of Podenzana is the result of a reconstruction dating back to 1950s and using armoured cement, causing many criticism on the matter. The castle is mentioned in the founding document of the abbey of Saint Caprasio in Aulla, dated 884. The castle and the village of Podenzana have been reason of war between the Bishops of Luni and the Malaspina family during XII the century. In the the agreement stipulated in 1201, the Malaspina were obliged to demolish the castle with the prohibition of reconstructing it. The castle became dominion of the Malaspina in the XIII century. At the beginning of the XVIII century, it suffered serious damages because of the war of Spanish succession.
The castle, of private property, is not opened to the public.
The castles of the Lunigiana