Bibola stands on a hill, few kilometers south of Aulla. It has a formidable position, dominating the whole high course of the Magra River with the ruins of its castle. Its origins can be brought back to the Roman period, as it attests its toponimy. In the Byzantine period, at the beginning of the VII century, the anonymous Ravennate pointed out in his "Cosmographia", an itinerary with a series of fortifications connected along the road that went from Luni to Lucca. In the other direction, through Pulica, Bibola, Rubra (Terrarossa), Corneda brought to Liguria.
Bibola was probably one of the Byzantine "kastron" in defense of Luni harbour. In the Middle Age , Bibola was very close to the nearby and important castle of Burcione, controlling the road that from the Francigena Road, brought to Sarzana and Luni.
The Byzantine nucleus was probably erected where the rests of the Malaspinian castle are. Through signals of smoke and games of mirrors it could be possible to communicate with the towers of Filattiera and Grondola and with the castles of Bastia, Monti, Lusuolo, Castiglione of the Terziere. The castle was perhaps readapted in the XI and XII centuries, when the Bishops of Luni disputed the parish of Soliera. In 1306, Dante Alighieri concluded in Castelnuovo the pact between the Malaspinas and the Bishop, and Bibola was also included. In 1355 it was among the feuds of the marquises Malaspina of Aulla confirmed by Charles IV. It was sold by his heirs in 1451 to the marquises of Fosdinovo.
In the village, it is possible to see the church of St. Bartholomew, with an elegant church square with mosaic of ligure inspiration. The houses of the suburb have numerous passages covered with vaults.

More information:
The castle of Bibola
The villages of Aulla